Memorial Day is just around the corner and we know you need a fabulous idea for a shareable item to take to that picnic. Impress your friends and relatives with the BLT Panzanella Salad. It incorporates fresh heirloom tomatoes with light lemon herb dressing, topped with fresh spinach, grilled corn, fried bacon and toasted sourdough croutons, finished with a balsamic glaze. Hungry yet?! Follow these simple instructions and awaken those taste buds!
First, you’ll need to make the lemon herb dressing and the sourdough croutons. Here’s how:
Lemon Herb Dressing
- 1 Lemon, juiced
- 1 Cup Mayonnaise
- 2 TBSP Chopped Fresh Basil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Mix all ingredients and sit in the refrigerator for a minimum of 30 minutes to allow the flavors to marinate.
- 1 Loaf of Sourdough Bread
- Olive Oil (as much as necessary)
- 1 TSP Chopped Fresh Oregano
- 1 TSP Chopped Fresh Basil
- Salt, Pepper and Granulated Garlic to Taste
Cut the loaf of sourdough bread into 1” cubes. Mix olive oil, oregano, basil, salt, pepper and granulated garlic. Toss sourdough bread cubes in oil (just enough to coat it). Bake at 350* for 10 minutes. Check for crispness. If you want a little more crunch, add time as needed.
BLT Panzanella Salad
- 1 Large Heirloom Tomato Cut into Round Cross Sections
- Lemon Herb Dressing (approximately 1 C from above recipe)
- 1 Bag of Spinach (or Arugula if you prefer a different green)
- 6-8 Strips Fried Bacon Coarsely Chopped
- 2 Ears of Corn on the Cobb, Grilled and Cut from the Cobb
- 12 Cherry Tomatoes, Sliced in Half
- Sourdough Croutons (go ahead and use the whole loaf!)
- Balsamic Glaze (as much as you like)
Line the perimeter of a large round dish with the sliced heirloom tomatoes. Layer the Lemon Herb Dressing on top of the tomatoes. Mix the spinach (or arugula), coarsely chopped bacon, grilled corn, halved cherry tomatoes and freshly baked croutons. Toss the mixture lightly in olive oil. Spoon mixture into the center of the tomatoes and dressing. Finish with a balsamic drizzle.
Let us know if you try this recipe and what you think!